Friday, December 12, 2008

I have been tagged.....

Karan Gerber tagged me.....

so I need to list seven random or weird facts about myself....

1. I have a passion for home decor, especially antiques and almost anything old and / or distressed. I dislike almost everything modern. I only wish my budget was as big as my passion.

2. I am a huge collector, actually so is my husband... I collect milk glass, dishware oh and maybe shoes, not to mention scrapping stuff! My husband collects old scales and swords. We also collect (or refuse to throw away) all the home decor mags we buy (yes he buys some too) and all the scrapping mags I buy. So much so that while he is finishing our basement he is building in bookcases for our mags and display units for his swords!

3. I have a strong need to be organized. I dislike losing things or wasting time looking for things (okay it kinda makes me nuts!) so I need to make sure everything has a place. I also need to have events, extracurricular activities, meetings etc. organized so I am a faithful user of the calendar on my laptop. I even use it to remind myself to do little things around the house. My hubby and kids tease me about being OCD or anal retentive, but admit that they actually benefit from my need to be organized.

4. I volunteer in my little Timmy's kindergarten every Monday (and have for the past year and a half) doing things like prep work, one to one work with children who need help and crafts. It is a busy, busy day but I love it, it makes me feel useful! I am not sure how his teacher is able to get her prep work done as there is so much to do in the primary grades, and top that with how much extra she does for and with the children, she is amazing and we are very lucky to have her as Timmy's teacher. And I am thankful she lets me come to school, too! Actually, I am already starting to stress about what I will do with myself when Timmy is in full time school next year, I wonder if the kindergarten teacher will still let me volunteer one day a week?

5. We are a foster family, to both short term and long term children and have had close to 50 children in our home over the last 10 years. It can be challenging work but is also very rewarding. We are very strong advocates for the needs of the children in our care. With 3 boys of our own and and our 2 foster sons, this is a very busy household (not to mention full of testosterone!).

6. My hubby, Ian, makes he and I a quiet dinner for two ,once a week. Usually we have it on swimming lesson night. We give the kids an early dinner before swimming then run off to our lessons. Once we are home and the kids are settled for the night, we have our dinner and a glass of wine. It has become a wonderful way to spend time together, and a luxury to have a conversation without interruption! It's a little pampering I truly enjoy. Actually if truth be told he does the bulk of the cooking on a daily basis, but dinner for two is always special!

7. Every time I think of Timmy's (5 yrs old) wiggly tooth (first one!) I get weepy! Last baby syndrome I guess, but I am truly enjoying the phase he is at now and am not ready for him to grow up.

1 comment:

  1. great random ideas...i still volunteered right up until grade three for my youngest classes....i did reading with them and he really enjoyed it...

    dh is also a great cook, well he can be a great cook. he makes an awesome pizza dough, right from scratch...and we do that least once a month, we have a pizza night here...

    and trust me, you may wonder what you will do when timmy goes full time, it wont take you long to wonder where the time went...

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!