Thursday, January 15, 2009

Let them eat cake!



Today is my DH's, Ian, 47th birthday. Happy birthday, darlin'!!
As a result I get to use my favourite toy, outside of the scraproom that is, my Kitchenaid mixer, to make him one of my famous (well in my family anyway) chocolate cakes!





I love to bake and don't usually need an excuse but after so many goodies over the holidays, a birthday is a good excuse to bake again!


I usually don't share this recipe, but since it is an oldie and a goodie, so I thought I should pass it on! It is very moist and delicious. I am also going to include my own creation (or at least I think so since I made it up) milk chocolate icing, it is creamy and yummy. Enjoy!





Chocolate Cake

1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla
3 squares unsweetened chocolate*
2 cups cake and pastry flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup boiling water
*substitution 9 tbsp cocoa plus 3 tbsp butter, melted and combined - this is what I usually as I always have a large container of cocoa in and don't always have baker chocolate.
Beat butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in chocolate. Sift together dry ingredients and mix in alternately with sour cream to butter mixture. Carefully stir in boiling water. (Mixture is very slopp.) Pou into 2 greased and floured 9" cake pans. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until cake tests done.


Milk Chocolate Icing

2 2/3 cups icing sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
6 tbsp butter
1/4 cup milk (to start with)

Beat all ingredients together, then add extra milk as need to reach desired spreading consistency.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know how bad it is to share a chocolate cake recipe with a chocoholic? It looks incredibly good and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!