Saturday, September 26, 2009

Goodbye friends....

Today is a day of emotional struggle.... my son was late coming home last night... I was miffed to be waiting up, miffed he was hours past his curfew. I was ready and waiting to give him an earful when he finally arrived. I had drifted in and out of sleep a bit, then after 3:00 am I heard his key in the lock... finally .... he came in quiet, relocked the door, paused, and broke into great wracking sobs. I have never gotten out of bed so fast, terrified of what had happened. Not expecting to hear his sad story, my poor boy (no one's child) should bear such witness as that.

You see he was at a house party, not too terribly far from home, and readying to leave to make his curfew. A friend, acting as a DD and chauffeuring several kids home, had made several trips already. (No, I do not condone under age drinking, but I do recognize when people try to do the right thing.) My son and his 2 friends were next, when the driver realized another group of kids lived closer, so he decided to take them next instead. As the kids were on the street preparing to enter the car, an SUV came barrelling down the street and hit the 4 young people. Sadly, two young men died immediately. One young woman was rushed into surgery and is suffering life threatening injuries. and the second young woman is in hospital with non life threatening injuries.

I am at a loss, I am so overwhelmingly sorrowful for the families of all the victims, young lives lost too early. I wish my son and his friends did not have to witness such a horrific site. I wish our children weren't saying goodbye to their friends. And I am so very, very thankful, that my son made it home to us.

Our hearts and thoughts go out to the families of the victims, their children taken from them so senselessly. We hope for a full recovery for both young women. We hope all the children on scene recover from their shock in the arms of their families. We hope our young people hold dear this important lesson in life's fragility.

"If we live in the hearts we leave behind we do not die" ~ Unknown

4 comments:

  1. wow laura, can;t even imagine what the feelings must be like ! our prayers and thoughts are with all of you - let us know if you need anything!
    Ryan and Rebecca Bell

    ReplyDelete
  2. How horribly heartbreaking. Those poor kids.
    What an awful thing to witness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i heard about it on the news while driving out early saturday morning to a family farm day, and i thought to myself, imagaine waking up this morning expecting to see your child and he/she is not there....im so sorry your son had to witness that, I often wonder what Gods plan is in all of this...but my heart, my prayers and my thoughts are with you and your family and to the families who are struggling with such loss...May God embrace and you lift you up during this time..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Laura! I am just catching up on my blog reading and when I read this post, I couldn't believe it. I rejoice with you over the fact that your son was spared and I grieve with you over those who were killed. May God have mercy on everyone involved in this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!