Thursday, April 22, 2010

In honour of Earth Day...

Happy Earth Day everyone, thought I'd share a bit about house cleaning (fun stuff, eh?). I don't know about all of you but a few years ago I started having strange reactions to store bought bathroom and kitchen cleaning products, like dizziness and numbness in my arms, etc. I stopped using it figuring if it was doing that to me, what is it doing to the kiddies (especially my youngest who is asthmatic) and the environment.

Now I make my own, and you can too. It is extremely cheap to make your own, better for the environment because you are not using so many harmful chemicals, and I use the same bottle over and over and over and over so I have much less garbage (you many need to change your bottle every couple of years).

In a large spray bottle add about 1/4 cup of bleach (bleach breaks down into salt and water and is not harmful to the environment at the household level) fill the remainder of the bottle with good old tap water and then add a squirt of dish soap (this helps your solution stick to vertical surfaces for a bit so you can more easily scrub them. As with use of any bleaches you need to be careful of the using them near fabrics, but this product is great for bathrooms, vinyl shower curtains, I even spray it on a cloth and wipe down the banisters and door knobs etc. And for my ceramic floors simply adding a 1/4 cup of bleach to the bucket of water does the trick!

How is that for a lot of cleaning power for about two bucks of bleach! it lasts for months and months!

Now on a more fun note, I am hoping to create something today and also in honour of earth day I am challenging myself to use something that may otherwise be thrown out, like packing material, packaging or scraps, anything of that nature.... why don't you play along? Let me know what you create.

Thanks for popping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated!