Monday, June 28, 2010

Ribbon Flower Tutorial

I am really loving handmade flowers and embellishments lately. I hope you are too! I find that if I don't have time to do a layout but I am feeling crafty, I will whip up a few handmade embellishments to add to my stash. They are super fun and quick!

For this flower you will need about an 8 inch strip of gross grain ribbon with stitching. (If you don't have this kind of ribbon keep reading, I will show you how to cheat it.)





Gently pull the stitching from one side of the ribbon ( hold on to the opposite end of the stitching so you do not pull it right out of the ribbon).



Tie the two ends of the pulled thread from the stitching securely. You will end up with a ribbon curl.



Make a coil with your ribbon curl and use a couple of glue dots to tuck under the unfinished ends, as well as hold your coil together



Add a button and you're done!

And now for the cheat!



I've used a contrasting thread so it shows up well in the picture, you could always use a coordinating thread so it is not so noticeable.



Run a basting stitch along one side of your ribbon.



Pull taut and tie to secure.



As above make a coil then tuck under and secure unfinished ends with glue dots



Add a button and there you go!

Hoping you get to have some fun today!

1 comment:

  1. ohhh - i like it! I'm going to try that today!
    thanks for posting your ideas!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!