Saturday, June 18, 2011

The End of an Era

Hello blog friends!

Yesterday marked the end of an era for us as a family.  Today is our first day of retirement from fostering.  For the last 12 years we have provided a home for almost 90 children, from newborns to teens, up to 4 at a time. 

This is a `job`we started after I became visually impaired and had to stop working.  Our boys, Chris and Jon, were both in school full time then and I was lonely at home by myself all day.  I was looking for something to fill the void of full time work, and occupy my mind to keep me from feeling sorry for myself.

Well I hit the jackpot on the keeping busy part!  During this time we have attended meetings with dozens of social workers and teachers, and hundreds of doctor and dentist appointments.  Thousands of lunches were packed and socks were washed.  Countless diapers were changed, hands held and boo boos kissed.  There were grads to be proud of and sporting events to cheer at. And many, many happy endings.

Being a foster parent is definitely the most challenging job I have ever done, it is a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year job.  There can be a lot of politics, bureaucracy and red tape.

In the midst of it all are the children in need and the sole goal of a decent parent / foster parent is to advocate for the children in their care, in whatever capacity that need be.  That in and of itself can be a full time job and requires a lot of juggling.  Because of these children it is also the most rewarding job that I have ever had.  We were fortunate to have many sweet children to enjoy.

However, as we take a step back from this role, which becomes a way of life, we also take with us the most amazing gift.  Our youngest son, Timmy, who was brought to us at only a few hours old way back in 2003, in 2005 we had the good luck and joy to be able to adopt him.  He is ours forever and my silver lining. 

I am grateful for the opportunities that fostering gave our family, but I am also looking forward to focusing on my family we will have have new endevours of our own in the coming months.


Laura
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Hey Laura,

    Kudos for fostering for that long. I'm sure that it was both rewarding and challenging. It takes special people with great hearts to be willing to go through the joy and heartache of loving and letting go. The world is in need of more caring foster parents. I bet the kids that spent time with your family have been blessed, as I'm sure you were blessed by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take my hat off to you and your family Laura. It takes a very special person and family to foster. May God bless you richly for providing a loving home for those children you needed it. hugs Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. My congratulations! I admire you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations first of all..You are really a great guy .. you are just amazing and there are no words for me to describe your social work..Hats off !!! webhosting

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!