Saturday, March 03, 2012

Some Home Decor and a little sewing

Hello all!

Do you ever see something online or in a magazine  that you think you would love for your home and sort of um, obsess over it?  Please tell me I am not alone!

Well, a while ago I saw this room photo on HGTV's blog ....

There are a lot of things I love about this room, but it was the curtains that jumped out at me!  I love, love, love the quatrefoil  design and the black and white colour scheme!

My mission began, I contacted the blog and they didn't have a source.  I searched high and low online.  I did find some but the price point was waaaaayyyy out of my league.  I settled on the idea that I would order fabric and make them myself.  It's only straight lines, no biggie.  And they are only decorative, not for privacy or light issues.

Then one day, I happened to be in Walmart, the crafty aisle is not too far from the drapery aisle, so I had a peek.  And low and behold, I found a reasonable facsimile of the curtains I love.  The scale of the print is a little smaller but the idea is basically the same.  Check it out.......

Still love them, maybe even a little more as they were only $35.00 per panel (not hundreds!).  I always wanted to inject more white into our home, but with so many kids (especially while we fostered) and most of them being boys, who seem to find more than their fair share of dirt.  It didn't seem practical.  It may still not be practical but for $35.00 a panel, I don't feel guilty about adding a little impracticality into our decor.

I got a pair for the living room and a pair for the dining room, which are open to each other.

The next thing I was obsessing about, is that you just can't throw a pattern into a room on that kind of scale and not have it repeat some where else.  So I grabbed and extra panel to play with.  hell, it's only money right?  Besides did I not save a fortune!  Lol, as if I would have spent it, but one can dream!

A few days after my hubby hung the drapes, I hauled out my sewing machine and created this little window topper for my kitchen window, since the dining room is open to the kitchen.......

It was super simple, I just cut about 16 inches off the bottom of the drapery panel, knowing I wanted my finished valance to be about 14 inches (I only work in 'abouts' when I sew).   Which meant the sides and bottom were already finished (it's all about where you cut!).  I added a finished hem on the upper part of the valance, making it a little deeper than usual to add a channel for the rod (or in my case the plastic wrapped drapery cord) to go through.

And then I made these.......

 Some super simple throw pillow covers, which can be removed for washing.
And I mean simple, only three straight stitched lines.  The hardest part is measuring your pillow, seriously.


Here are a couple of diagrams, the top one shows that you just start with a basic rectangle of fabric.  For example if your pillow measures 16 inches square, you will want your fabric to be about 18 inches wide to allow for a 1 inch seam on either side (if you are a good seamstress you will likely want to use less, but this works for me).  Then for your length you obviously want to double the width of the pillow and add several inches for overlapping ( I will explain that next), so you want the length to be about 37-38 inches.

The first step is to sew a finished hem along one side of the fabric (see diagram).  Then you will fold the finished edge towards the centre of the  fabric.  Making sure to fold so that the outside is on the inside.  Next fold over the opposite side, making sure to overlap the finished edge by a few inches (you are basically creating an envelope, see second diagram).  Next, pin into place and sew along two sides.  Turn right side out and voila you are done!  It's that easy and that quick!  About a half hour per pillow cover from start to finish.

Here is a look at the back of the pillow so you can get a better idea.......



See the little flap / envelope opening.   Cool right?  And it's that easy, if I can do it so can you!

Thanks for visiting!
Laura
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Holly Molly...I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I think yours look WAY better especially because you made them yourself (and I work in "abouts" when sewing too, I'm no seamstress). You and your hubby must be supper proud!!! AWESOME job...seriously!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really cool pattern. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!