Saturday, September 15, 2012

Yesteryear - Inspiration Elevator

Hi there!


You may recall from last month's Inspiration Elevator challenge that the purpose of this challenge group was to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. 



This month our challenger was the very talented Laurel Seabrook. Laurel loves flea markets and garage sales and would love to incorporate more of those items into her art. In fact, we have invited a valued guest designer to join us this month; her name is Christy Riopel. We welcome, Christy from her regular writing and creating job at Canadian Scrapbooker magazine.

Here's a bit of what Laurel had to say in her challenge this month.

"I love going to garage sales, flea markets and thrift shops to find fun items for me to upcycle into something else either for my own home or to give as a gift. I also love just to pick up some old things that appear to have some sort of story to them. I love the shabbiness of old, worn items and the warm comforting feeling they evoke.

My challenge for you is to scrap an old photo/photos. Not only that I want you to incorporate something that is not normally a scrapping item, upcycle/recycle something to include on your layout. Vintage is definitely not my style when it comes to paper crafting. I like clean and simple so this will be a challenge for me."

Now for me personally this was a real challenge, while I love old things in my home (more antique than vintage) I have not embraced the vintage style of scrapbooking.  I can truly appreciate the look, it just hasn't been something I have ever done.

Compound that with having a grand total of 12 childhood pictures of myself (we moved A LOT, 3 countries, countless cities and there was never much money - photos were a luxury item back them), I had slim pickings of vintage photos to choose from.  That said I do have several of my husband as a child - but given that this challenge group is for me, I really wanted to use a photo of me.  (This is one reason why my camera doesn't have a home - it stays on my desk so anyone can grab it at anytime,  I find all kinds of interesting photos on it, that I didn't take!)

Anyway, this is what I came up with.....

 I kept my layout fairly monochromatic (it reminds me of home decor in the 70's!), with a hint of a dusty pink.  I chose pink because it feels vintage, the tone is soft, and I am the little one in the centre in pink (with my borther on one side and one sister on the other), so I pop!  I think the background wood grain paper looks a little like old paneling, so that worked for me!
 This is my vintage item - an old dress pattern, made into a flower.  It is a pretty basic way to incorporate something vintage, but it reminds me of my mom as she was quite the seamstress and made most of our clothes.  I added a bling flourish because I have some and I don't often get to use them, being the mom of all boys.
 I had these little frames in my stash, they have a pattern on the other side, but I decided to use the reverse which is sort of kraft coloured. I did this for two reasons, first I didn't have enough frames all the same colour and second I wanted to continue on with the wood grain look, so I stamped them.
 This large belt buckle on the ribbon, reminds me a little of the 70's... big belts with wide leg pants! lol
 Doilies also say vintage to me (even though they are very in right now), do you remember them at your Grandmother's house?  But white would have been too stark.  I didn't have the correct colour of mist, so I added some pink and brown craft paint to a little mister bottle that was about 2/3's full of water.  I practiced on scrap paper until I got the colour that I was looking for.  It ws a super easy (and cheap way to get mist in the colour that I needed).  While the doily was still wet I sprinkled it with just a bit of glitter.  Why, you ask?  Because, I could!

The little flower brad with it's filigree pattern and aged patina also feels vintage to me.
 Here is a closer look at this old photo (about 40 years old) it is faded and cracked, from being hauled all over the place - definitely has seen better days.
All in all, I an glad this challenge is over, I am not sure if I love the layout.  But it was time to put it to rest, as it generated more than a few bouts of tears.  And I am glad that I can add this photo on this layout to an album, it reminds me there were happier times.  Before my father passed away and my mom succumbed to Alzheimer's.

I hope you will stop by and see what the designers on this adventure have created:


 We would love to see what you are inspired to create. Add your comment below with a link, I will be sure to drop by and say hello.

Thanks for visiting!
Laura
xoxo


12 comments:

  1. Oh, this is absolutely beautiful Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a soft and beautiful layout! LOVELY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful page to preserve beautiful memories. I hope it makes you smile every time you look at it. Love the frames and the paneling look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So soft and pretty Laura! Love the frames and handmade flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laahoove this page Laura! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your page and story.
    I have memories and photos like this only a few like you said...not many photos from those days but we were always all lined up just like you and your brother and sister were. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your layout and how you used the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful page Laura! I love the colours you used and your photo is priceless!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just so sweet! I love what you have done with the muted colours ... perfect paper choice for that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the wood paneling!!!!!! That is great! And the colors are SOOOO 70's! And the scratch/tear on the photo just make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura! This is divine. I love your vintage flower from that pattern and it has such meaning. The wood grain reminds me of paneling too. Great punch work and that doily is perfect. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You still injected lots of Laura-isms into this page and it doesn't scream vintage-y shabby chic, but is definitely girly - a lovely change for you! I love the woodgrain pattern you chose - it definitely speaks 70's paneling,especially with the way you carried it throughout the page. I hope this layout will grow on you, because it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!