Friday, February 15, 2013

Focusing on One Little Word - Inspiration Elevator - American Crafts

Hello friends!

You may recall from last month's challenge that the purpose of this challenge group was to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow.  You can view all of the challenges on my blog here.  


This month, our challenger was the super talented Lisa Spiegel. Lisa lives in California with her family and this month she asks us to think about our growth in 2013. This is what she wrote:

"Create a layout about your One Little Word. You know, the word that we scrappers choose in January upon which to reflect for the year. This word should have special meaning to you and be selected for it's potential to help you reach and grow...the only hard part..you must use a photo of yourself and add journalling to the layout explaining the significance of the word..."

My 'One Little Word' is the same this year as I used in 2012.  I just felt like I wasn't quite finished with it.... I didn't accomplish everything that I had hoped to with my word.  Although, I do not feel that I didn't succeed ... more that there is still more I know that I can do with it!

So for 2013, my word is 'focus'.  I want to focus more on the things that are important and meaningful to me and my family.  Stressing less about the little things and 'focus-ing' on things that will bring us more joy, peace and happiness.

Here is my layout....

I broke my layout into two section... one focuses on my word and the other on my journaling.  I used some Pebbles 'Walnut Grove' as it is pretty and fun and light-hearted, which is the approach that I want to take, in embracing my 'One Little Word'.
I printed out a few definitions for the word 'focus' and some synonyms for it, onto some patterned paper and used this as a base for my photo and title.

 This is what my journaling reads......"I feel as though I have broken myself into too many little pieces and spread myself too thin.  I feel like I cannot complete anything, at least not properly, as there are just too many things that need my attention.  My one little word, and my goal for 2013, is ‘FOCUS’. 



I need to get to the heart of what is important to me and for the family, in all aspects of life.  Whether it be our time together, the boys’ education, finances, my craft or everyday stuff, I need to weed out the unnecessary and give each salient situation my full attention. 



This is the same little word that I chose last year, and while I made some gains, I still feel as if I didn’t give it my all.  I still feel out of FOCUS. So for 2013 I will again be

FOCUS-ing on my ‘FOCUS’."


 I had fun layering up embellies.
 And I used my silhouette for a few different cuts.
You know what is funny?  I remember back in the day of beginning to scrapbook and thinking... who would do a 1 page layout.... then after a couple of years, I thought, well okay one page but still several photos,  then I became okay with only one photo and in fact preferred it, but it had to be a 5x7, now I am just fine with this tiny little photo on a single page layout.  Thank you IE for helping me to evolve and be more open minded.

I hope you will join the rest of our Inspiration Elevator team to see what word best reflects their plans for change and growth in 2013.
Cathy Harper
 Sue Sykes

Thank you so much for visiting me today!
Laura
xoxo

16 comments:

  1. Laura!! This stunning! I love the epth and attention to detail here. So much to see. Your flower cluster is divine and has a appeal without being over the top. Stunning!!! A fav on mine for sure. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Beautiful!! I love this LO and this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this. LOVE. Have I said I LOVE this?? I hope you don't mind when I scraplift you because you ROCKED this challenge!!!!! LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, love this! yep, scraplifting this too! How funny that we share the same word...yes, all great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love, love, love this....and yes, I am lifting it too! Gorgeous perfection! funny that we chose the same word...yes, all great mind's think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, you rocked this! love this collection, and you did a great job showcasing your one little word! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I love this too Laura! The layers and design are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your page Laura! I like how you split the 'focus' of your page into two areas and I love how you created your own dictionary paper to mat your photo on! Great use of all the fun embellies also!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your page Laura! I like how you split the 'focus' of your page into two areas and I love how you created your own dictionary paper to mat your photo on! Great use of all the fun embellies also!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love this layout!!!! Great design!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love! Love! Love! What a great layout!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LAURA...OMGosh LOVE this layout...It might be my favorite Laura LO!!! AMAZING...for real!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, this is incredible!! Love the rustic background mixed with the fun bright colours of the patterned paper - your clusters are perfect! Great word choice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think doing 2 large clusters is a superbly meaningful way to communicate the problem of focus being split. I think a lot of people share this malady, especially women! It's a truly lovely layout and it's nice to see you scrapbooking your beautiful face!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura I love that your process of scrapping has changed so much over the years....its funny how we evolve! This page is just beautiful!!! I love your die cuts and what a great word, too! That one was on my list as well!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!