Monday, July 15, 2013

New Kid - Inspiration Elevator - My Mind's Eye

Hi there,


Inspiration Elevator

You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges our new Inspiration Elevator Blog, here.

This month's challenge is issued by the super talented, Lisa Moen. Here's what she had to say in her very own words:

"I have been thinking lately, that I have only done one layout of my childhood and realized that maybe some day, my kids or grandkids would enjoy looking at a few more pages and learning about my siblings, my parents and I.
So my challenge for you this month is to create a page about a childhood memory of yours. It can be a good, a bad, a funny, a photoless or whatever you choose kind of layout.
Just remember to add journaling to tell the story behind your childhood memory.
Can't wait to see your projects!"

This may sound funny, but this challenge was very difficult for me, I do not have a lot of childhood photos of myself, we moved around a lot and we didn't have much money for things like film developing.  Which in part is what my story is about, like I said we moved around a lot.  3 countries (one of them twice), 2 states, 1 province, countless cities and so it goes.  Therefore, we attended many schools and as such, yup we were the new kids, a lot!


I chose to pair My Mind's Eye 'Nostatlgia' collection with my topic... it seemed kind of fitting with my vintage photograph.

 I added the year I started school on this little banner.
 Sprinkles of buttons and pearly brads along with some Mr. Huey's to add interest and because I love them.
 A fun Silhouette title.
 My hidden journaling reads, " Looking back @ this first day of school photo reminds me of many first days as the new kid, due to many moves our family made. having my sisters and brother for best friends was a happy result."

I hope this challenge inspires you, like it did me and the rest of the team.  And speaking of the rest of the tram, I hope you will stop by and see what they have created:
Thanks for visiting!
Laura
xoxo

14 comments:

  1. Love this Laura! I moved around a ton as a kid too and remember being the "new kid" at school. When we moved to Canada I was also the new kid with the funny accent!! LOL!
    Love your title!! I have GOT to play with my Silhouette more to make fun titles like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Alison, I totally understand the accent thing. We went through that moving to the states and then again coming home!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous page. Your paper choices, as you stated, are perfect for the vintage photo. I envy your handwriting on the journal tag. I love how much white space you left - it's so effective on here. Your photo has such a tiny image of you, so between that and the white space, you convey that almost lost feeling, that goes with being the new kid. Really symbolic.
    - Ann Jobes
    www.lovestnpaper.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you did this! The papers are SO cool with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your little details on this layout Laura! Your title is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cluster is very powerful and so is the photo! Beautiful page! Love all the white space.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerful layout. Your tiny little photo with you standing alone..really represents that part of your life so keenly. I adore your use of white space which instinctively adds more isolation to your design. This is stunning Laura and so very meaningful in concept and design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, your design is amazing and I agree with Christa, the photo is so powerful..I can almost hear your thoughts in the photo...gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, Laura! Love the colours you've chosen and the layered photo matte!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! Loving the layers!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Can I just say that this layout is pure art! Your photo is fantastic and totally portrays the title on your page perfectly. I am totally wowed over the simplicity and yet the impact of this layout and your story!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful layout to document the story, Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous layout. This is really inspiring ... one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!