Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ocean Waves - Inspiration Elevator - Fancy Pants

Hello there!
Inspiration Elevator

You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges our new Inspiration Elevator Blog, here.
This month, the very creatively-minded Christa issued the challenge and here's what she wrote:

"Part of growth is learning new techniques. And I do mean NEW. Sometimes we are afraid to try something or get in a rut..but for the August reveal I am asking that you find a technique WITH a video and include the link in your post. Learn something new. Share where you learned it and then share what you learned and your creation. I hope this is challenging for you...it might take some time to think about!

You do not need to make your OWN video just share the one you used to create your technique. If possible be sure to get permission from the maker of that video so we can be respectful!

Pinterest has some great videos."

Well, doesn't that sound like fun!  I had an idea of what I wanted to create, so I went searching on You-Tube and came across this video.  It has a really good walk through to create your own masks, using Tim Holtz blank masks.  I was super excited because I wanted specific mask designs for my layout, that I do not own.  Just one problem .... during the 2 weeks prior to this post, I was up at my trailer / little vacation spot with very limited craft supplies.  Well, I had to ad-lib a bit, I created two disposable masks (not ideal, but they worked in a pinch).  I will definitely be shopping for the right stuff soon!

Anyway, here is my layout.....

 I created a large sun mask and a palm tree mask.  I used the sun mask to mist a sun onto the background of my layout, using various shades of red, orange and yellow Mr. Huey's spray mists.  I think it looks pretty cool.  Then I used washi tape to temporarily attach the palm tree mask onto my background page and using Martha Stewart texture paste (which I am still fairly new at using)  I applied a set of dimensional palm trees to my page.

Here is a bit of a close up view of the details created with my masks.

 And a couple more detailed shots.

I must say, I had a lot of fun with my mists and texture paste, and given my current tight quarters and limited supplies, I really didn't mind not having to deal with cleaning masks in tiny sinks!  Oh, and I finished one more layout for my cruise album!  Sweet!

I hope you will stop by and see what the  rest of the incredible Inspiration Elevator designers have created:

If you feel inspired to play along with Christa's challenge this month, please share it using the linky tool on our Inspiration Elevator blog and/or our Inspiration Elevator Facebook page. We'd LOVE to see what you made!

Thanks for visiting!
Laura
xoxo

11 comments:

  1. I love how you did this!! So so SO cool! Those textured trees are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous job Laura! The texture paste is fantastic! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! I am so amazed. Your colours are so fiery. The masks worked perfectly! What a great design Laura. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE THIS!!! The sun turned out amazing and I love the texture on the trees. So many amazing details - the lettering, the sequins, the layers. Fantastic job Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love and adore this..every little detail is perfection and texture paste with the sprayed sun is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Such a gorgeous page and I am so intrigued to give mask making a try! I love working with mists and texture paste! You really rocked this technique!!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Laura!! The misted sun looks awesome, and I love the modeling paste for the palm trees!! Your disposable masks, look like they were perfect for the job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sun is so cool! Great job, Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely fabulous page Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you layered the masks over each other. They are stunning! Your page is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how that title turned out! Great pic too :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!