Friday, November 15, 2013

Capture - Inspiration Elevator - Boys Rule

Hi there!

You may recall that the purpose of the Inspiration Elevator challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to mature as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges at the Inspiration Elevator Blog.

November's challenge comes from the very talented Joanne Burton. Here's the challenge she posed:

"November's Challenge: Back in Time.  I love looking through old photos (or not so old photos!) and remembering the great memories that go along with them. Some pictures evoke a strong emotional response while others just bring a sweet smile to our face as we recall the details of when it was taken. With that in mind, I would like each of you to pick a favourite photo and go back in time! I want you to take your photo and actually revisit the place where the photo was taken. Then take a 'picture of the picture' in it's original setting and scrapbook your new photo. **If you are absolutely not able to revisit the place where the photo was first taken, then pick a favorite picture with lots of memories attached to it and scrapbook that. 
 

In either case, I want you to journal the story behind your photo. Make your journaling and photo come together in such a way that we feel like we are back in time with you!"

I pretty much knew right away the photo I would re create, I took this photo a couple of years ago of my youngest at a giant Inuktitut that is at a local winery near our trailer.  The winery also has great homemade sauces and jams, a couple of sweet pups, cats, gifts and tastings.  So there is something for all.  Timmy loves to visit it and get his picture taken with the Inuktitut, it is a great way to see how he is growing, too.  However, despite the fond memories, this photo has not made it onto a page.  You see, I really dislike what he is wearing, or at least I find the colours uninspiring. And turning it into a black and white photo you lose some of the definition of the stone.



So this challenge gave me the perfect opportunity for a do over.



He is still not wearing anything nice, mostly he wears rugged play clothes up north like recycled jeans into shorts.  Things that we do not mind if they get stained, ripped or ruined so he can play and explore freely.  But at least this time the colours are more muted. ha!

I combined this challenge with the sketch over at Boys Rule Kit Club that is going live today, and used the kit to create my page.  This is what I came up with.



The sketch called for 3 photos and I like that as I could also add a couple of close ups since the photo was taken from so far away due to the size of the Inuktitut.  I also had fun using ink and paint on my background, keeping the colours muted but bringing in the browns and greys from the Inuktitut.  I used a circle stamp with the paint, as well as a scrap of paper to create the painted lines on my page. I also added flicks of mist.


 I used the paint to enhance the edges of my pattern papers too.  The papers n this month's Boys Rule kit are from Lucky 7, a Canadian company, and I just love this line!

 I even added paint to the edges of my photos.

 I used a SN@P journaling card to add my journalling. And doodled here and there on my page as well.  Bottom line, I had a blast creating this page, I just let myself play and do what felt right at the time.  I think this page will remain a fav for years to come!

Here is the sketch...


I hope you will stop by and see what the rest of the incredible Inspiration Elevator designers have created:

 Laura Whitaker  - that's me!
Lisa Spiegel 

We are thrilled to welcome guest artist Misty Russell and her eclectic, artistic style to Inspiration Elevator this month.

Guest Designer Misty Russell 

If you feel inspired to play along with our challenge this month, please share it using the linky tool on our Inspiration Elevator blog and/or our Inspiration Elevator Facebook page. We'd LOVE to see what you made!

Thanks for visiting!
Laura
xoxo

14 comments:

  1. seriously amazing layout...love every little detail! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the layout (so many cool details!) and look how happy your son is to be recreating the photo! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh LOVE the page and photo!!! that is sooo cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your summery colours and how you found a cool way to scrap a less than ideal photo, through this challenge. I like the play of neutrals and brights on this page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your take on the challenge and he is such a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great take on this month's challenge, Laura! I love how you revisited the place where your original photo was taken and even took Timmy along with you to be in the newer photo! I also love your finished layout. All the details on your page help to tell your story beautifully!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So gorgeous! LOVING the colors and the photos!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the idea behind the challenge. Your layout is just fabulous. Love all the elements and how you put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura - I just love this layout ... The small pics and paint splatter are so cool! I just love the style of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your clustering on this fun and fabulous page, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful layout! I love all the little splotches and splitches! So may beautiful details to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun page Laura! Love the awesome design and Sketch you created!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just left a comment but it disappeared! Anyway- this is a great layout!!! Love the color and your wonderful layering- so many great details! That location is fantastic for multiple photo shoots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea what you did with the photos, it all looks amazing on the LO with so much fun and funky details... love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!