Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Embellishing your backgrounds Tutorial - ScrapMuch?

Hi there,

I have a new tutorial up on the ScrapMuch? blog today and I am sharing it here, too.

When I am teaching classes or doing demos, I often get asked just how I know where to add products like, paint, mist and texture medium to my page, so I thought I would share this little tip on what I often do.

 First I gather up my basic elements, cutting papers and photos to size.  I do not worry about embellishments or titles at this point.

 Then I adhere them together with a minimal of adhesive.  I usually go back and add more adhesive later, but at this stage I just add a bit to the centre so that I can go in and tuck in bits of tags, embellishments of other papers as I desire.

You will notice in this case, as I often do, I just stapled everything together by placing a single staple underneath where I know a photo will sit.  This allows me all the flexibility I desire for add more to my page later on.

Now I lay this stack of papers onto my base page to get a visual of where it will sit.

And then I can move it aside and add the desired mediums to my background, which is paint in this case, stamped with a recycled margarine tub to make it the size I needed.

I now lay my papers over top and see how it looks.

I decided to add a bit more paint, this time using a mask, so I pulled my papers away and did just that.

The paint dries really quick so I was immediately able to build up my page by adding back the papers, photos and then embellishing.

Thanks for visiting!
Laura
xoxo

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! LOVING that circle you added!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see some of your process, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cool!!! LOVE seeing your work in progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just simply gorgeous Laura!! I loved seeing how you put your project together. I love the staple idea, I'm going to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Laura! Love the tips for adding the paint to your background! I am bad about waiting til after I have everything on my layout, and then deciding I want to add a medium! I think I am programmed backwards!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing with us Laura! Beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love the ideas this gives me! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!