Sunday, December 15, 2013

December Memories - Inspiration Elevator - My Mind's Eye

Hi there!

You may recall that the purpose of the Inspiration Elevator challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to mature as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges at the Inspiration Elevator Blog.

We are thrilled to welcome guest artist Christy Riopel to Inspiration Elevator this month. You may recognize her work as she is a regular contributor/write for Canadian Scrapbooker magazine.  

December's challenge for us and for you comes from the uber prolific Laurel Seabrook. Here's the challenge she posed: 

" I love Christmas, everything about it. Decorating my house, making gifts, baking - I love it all. My challenge to you is what is Christmas to you? What is one thing that evokes special memories and truly brings out the Christmas spirit for you. It could be a decoration, photo, song, recipe. Perhaps it is a tradition that you did as a child and now your children do. Maybe it is in the 'special' dinnerware that comes out only at Christmas. Scrap it and tell us all about it. Now for those who don't celebrate Christmas, let's hear about a tradition that makes your celebration special."

For me, Christmas is about family, about being together, about sharing, and about tradition.  One of the things we have done every year since my youngest came home to us, is watch "The Santa Claus" movie every Christmas Eve, while we snuggle and munch on treats.  I love that we make the effort to have a low key and stress free evening in the middle of what could be holiday hoopla.  If my big boys are lucky enough not to be working, I love that they will take the time to snuggle with their little brother and give him this tradition.  It is a very simple but meaningful tradition and gift of the season.


I wanted to use only one photo, but I also wanted to show both the movie and two of my boys enjoying the movie, so I photoshopped  one photo onto the other, making one black and white and leaving the other in colour.

Here are a few close up shots....




Just the other day my youngest told my husband and I that he thinks he likes Christmas Eve the best, he said he likes "watching 'The Santa Claus' as a family and eating too many treats".  Of course he clarified that and said he likes presents, too.  What a kid! 

I used the current sketch at Stuck?! Sketches to create my page...

Would you like to see what the rest of our designers, and our guest designer, created with this challenge? Of course you would, so here are the links to each one's blog:
Guest designer: Christy Riopel
I hope you feel inspired to play along with our challenge this month, and when you do, please share it using the linky tool on our Inspiration Elevator blog and/or our Inspiration Elevator Facebook page. We'd LOVE to see what you made!

Thank you for visiting!
Laura
xoxo

13 comments:

  1. Love this sketch and the adorable photo! I love that they take time for Timmy to create this tradition..so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful layout! Great memory to capture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving what you did with the pictures!! Such a fabulous page and a wonderful memory captured!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to meld your photos. I like your clusters and the whole thing is a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photo technique...the layout captures that mellow feel so nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the layering of the the photos! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely tradition, Laura, and you captured it beautifully on your layout! I love the photo technique and your little tree element is fabulous!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your photo work and layers. What a wonderful tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Laura!! What an awesome way to layer your photos!! And the MME looks great on your page!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool page and LOVE the tree on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a darling page - great photo technique. And I'm intrigued by your tree embellishment. Great sketch, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your layout Laura and your story behind it. What a lovely tradition to have. Your photo technique is an awesome idea, love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great page and wonderful sketch. Very interesting what you did with the photos(s). Gorgeous.
    Louise

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!