Saturday, March 15, 2014

A page without a name - Inspiration Elevator

Hi there!


You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and extend ourselves. You can view all of the challenges at our Inspiration Elevator Blog, here


Our challenge this month was posed by the very talented Ann Jobes. Here's how she expressed this month's challenge:

"First, for those of you who are getting tired of journaling-based challenges, I apologize. This idea has been cooking since the fall (just not articulated). 

My daughter subscribes to the Dance Spirit magazine and I sometimes browse through it, too. One of my favourite monthly features is an article that features a different dancer each month, some photos of that dancer, and a description of their current work, and (the best part!) a letter. The theme is a Letter to My Teenage Self. The content ranges, depending on the dancer and his/her experience, morals, ideals, etc. So this month's assignment is to write a letter to your teenage self. You can take any approach you'd like to this - scrapbook page, art journal page, canvas. However the prompt inspires you. And your content is of course up to you, as well. Some topics might be: what would you try to teach yourself? Or, what would you counsel yourself to do or not do? This does not have to be a page about regrets. It could be about congratulating yourself on something you did right that has contributed to who you've become today. Here is a photo of a recent magazine feature, if it inspires you:"


I am going to be real honest, this challenge was the first one that we have done at IE that I seriously thought of backing out of.  I even turned to my husband for advice (he is my go to ear) and he thought it might be best to skip this one as well.  Without going into any details, because they do not belong on the www, I will just say this - not everyone's childhood is a happy place with fond memories that they like to revisit, or even a place with normal "growing pains".  But, and this is a really big but, I am no quitter, and I have a determined disposition.   So despite my fear that this page would turn out ugly or unsharable, I forged ahead, this is what I came up with.

 I used a lot of older product on this page, a real mishmash of collections and embellishments. Honestly, I kind of went into it not caring how it would turn out or if I would share it.

  This flair is a new piece I picked up from Buttons and Badges, they have the cutest things!
 And these feathers are new too, from Creative Embellishments,love them, they were natural wood but I painted them with black chalkboard paint.

Some of my embellishments are symbolic - the window, the key, the ruler, the feathers.... and some are just well, embellishments.  The photo is also symbolic.  The journaling was not easy to write nor is it shareable, but I do have a little bit written on the card in the canvas pocket that is viewable, and therefore shareable.  It reads' "Note to my teenaged self.  You are more than a sum of your parts. Look ahead, look up. Don't let the past dictate who you are.  Make a new you, a new path.  Be strong. Be brave.  You GOT this!"

When I was almost done the page, and the journaling, I reached for a shiny new black Sharpie... not really sure what I was intending ...  My desire to scribble on my page was a little concerning.  I ended up doodling around the page.

Did you notice that my page also has no title?  Not something I ever do.

Please visit the other Inspiration Elevator designers' blogs and see how they worked with Ann's challenge:



We would LOVE to see you take up Michelle's challenge this month, so if you do, please share it at our linkup on the Inspiration Elevator blog.

Thank you for visiting me today.
Laura
xoxo

15 comments:

  1. I love this, I am so happy you forged ahead and shared this! I love that your embellishments are symbolic! Yep, you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you are phenomenal. I know you had trepidation about this page, but it is remarkable, like you. I love how you put new and old things together and it all looks like it was meant to go together. There's something very peaceful about this page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I am very impressed by your determination to participate in this challenge even though it was something that you struggled with. Your page is beautiful and I love how the elements have personal meaning for you. Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us :)
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, this is a favorite! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Laura.. good for you having the determination.. FANTASTIC layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your layout turned out great! I love all the little embellies!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, I am proud of you for pulling through with determination and doing this challenge! Your journaling is inspiring! You GOT this, my friend, fabulous page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura - I love this layout for so many reasons. First of all, it's beautiful. I love how you just played and let it all come together, and it works so well together! I love that you forced yourself outside your zone with both the subject matter and the lack of title. This is truly fabulous. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura - so awesome of you to forge ahead with this challenge! Not caring how your page turns out works for you - this is gorgeous!! You are so right - not all of us have childhoods that we care to return to but they are what makes us who we are and yours clearly made you a fabulous, amazing person today!!! I love the bit of journaling you chose to share! Good advice at any age!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your page Laura, and that you stuck with it and were still able to create your layout for the challenge! I also have a hard time putting memories of my childhood into words, so I can understand how you felt participating in this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful layout Laura! Love all the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm so glad you didn't back out Laura. This is simply beautiful and so natural. I have some of that SU background DSP, but I've never used it for a base page. LOVE! Thanks for the inspiration, and thanks so much for visiting my blog! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the page turned out beautifully! I started from the same place you did- I didn't really want to focus on my page design and I really like the way my "undesigned" page turned out- the same reason I love this one. I think the page is really well made- even if the subject or feelings it represents are far from beautiful. I'm glad you decided to face the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So proud of you for sticking with it...you certainly have listened to your own advice :) the page is gorgeous with deep meaning..love. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this page immediately caught my eye, i absolutely LOVE it! definitely a good decision to go ahead and scrap it :) x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!