Friday, April 15, 2016

Retro RAD | Stuck?! Sketches

Woo hoo, it is mid April!  I am hoping that true Spring arrives soon!  In the meantime, a new challenge at Stuck?! Sketches starts today!

Here is the sketch that I created for the challenge:


I recently came across this photo of my older boys from about 13 years ago.  Actually I found an 11x14 photo, because you know go big or go home!  Man were they cute!  I do not think I have ever scrapped this photo, I wonder if I even ordered a smaller size? So I scanned it and printed out a black and white picture to play with for this page.


I started my page by adding some Gesso to the text background paper, just in the centre area because I wanted to add in a bit of colour there.

I only own 4 Gelatos, but they happen to work perfectly with the SO RAD collection by Simple Stories which is what I chose to play with.  I used the packaging technique along with some teal Gelato and added color the the background, I repeated this step with some yellow Gelato.  I do not actually own an orange Gelato but I blended my red and yellow together to make orange and applied that the same way.


Then I added a few splatters of black Mr. Huey's, although I wish I had waited until my page was finished to do this, as I smudged a few areas.

The sketch actually suggests a fairly simplistic central focal area, which was my next step.  After building that up with patterned papers and my photo, I added some stitching.


Of course the embellishing is always the fun part, I love how embellishments turn an ordinary page into a layout with interest and depth,




Once all my embellishments were stuck down, I added a bit more Mr. Huey's splatters, this time in a soft teal colour.

I hope that you decide to play along with us at Stuck?! Sketches, the DT has created some gorgeous eye candy to inspire you and we have two amazing sponsors offering prizes to two lucky scrappers!



Supply List: Simple Stories So Rad patterned paper, stickers and bradz; Simple Stories Say Cheese II enamel dots; Mr. Huey's mist in "black" and "water colour"; orange, teal and red Gelatos; Faber Castell Gesso; Tim Holtz "life quotes" rubons; Buttons and Badges flair; Crate Paper chipboard; Creative Embellishments wood veneer.

Thank you so much for visiting today!

8 comments:

  1. Stopping by to let you know how much I love this layout!!! So many wonderful details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous sketch!! Love all the details in your layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love this page! You chose an awesome collection and I love the watercolor paint you added to your background!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I absolutely love your sketches and your layout. There is such a great vibe that comes out with your sketches and then your take on them too. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Laura!! Incredible page!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!