Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Stash Busting by Colour | Tutorial

Oh my goodness what a month this is, so many lasts!  Today I am sharing my last tutorial for ScrapMuch?, can you believe that I have shared over 280 tutorials on a weekly basis here on my blog! Wow, my family was right I do have a lot to say! Ha!

Boy did I struggle bringing you a final tutorial for ScrapMuch?, I thought it should be something so amazing, something to WOW to heck out of you! It took me weeks to come up with something and in the end once I took the pressure off of myself and decided that I really wanted to create a layout, and that I wanted to colour coordinate papers and embellishments, the idea for my tutorial just came to me.

I bet you are just like me with tons of left over little bits and bobs from past purchases.  I bet you would like a fun way to use some of them up.  I bet you might want to buy more goodies, guilt free! LOL.  Let me show you how I busted my stash (At least a little bit!).


Little circles of yumminess!


I had some scraps of this collection by Crate Paper that I also wanted to use up.  I also had this wedding photo printed up and the pastels in this collection were just perfect for this pic. Pastels were big in the 80's, does Miami Vice ring a bell??


I didn't have a full sheet of paper from this collection but I found this one by Amy Tangerine in a light grey that worked well with the other papers, and since I have no other papers from this Amy Tangerine line I was nice to use it up as well!

I cut circles out of a white piece of cardstock with my Silhouette, but you could easily recreate this look without a Silhouette by using a variety of sized punched circles, so don't let the lack of a Silhouette scare you off.

I adhered the cardstock and patterned background together by lining up one of the bottom corners, just to change things up a bit as I do the "framed" look often.


Then I started adhering my scraps of patterned paper between the background layers.


This process is super quick, but you get a lot of impact for your few minutes and scrap papers!


I duplicated each colour so that my layout wouldn't be too busy.


I also tucked in a couple of strips of a striped pattered paper that helps to tie all my colours together.



Then the fun and stash busting part!  I pulled out lots of flowers (which I hardly use so it was nice to do so), stickers (I have a large pile of stickers sheets with just a few on each), buttons (do have a million too), brads (wow something else I don't use often but still have a ton of), and left over chipboard bits.


I layered these elements in and around each circle sticking to the same colour but using a variety of tones of the colour, so my layout wouldn't look so flat.


I must say the peach was the hardest for me as I did not have much, but since our first apartment was decorated in peach and grey I felt nostalgic about using it! Luckily I found a few elements that worked.


Yellow is my happy colour, can you believe we just celebrated our 29th! I can't say it feels like yesterday but it sure as heck doesn't feel like 29 years! Where does the time go.


Oh mint green I am loving you all over again, in fact I was working on adding this colour as an accent to my craft room - but now I am giving up having a dedicated space so the mint is going, too.


I have said this before, but as a mom of all boys, I am all too happy to play with pink whenever it works!


This title was a left over piece that seemed just perfect for my page, too!


I also went in and added some grey elements to tie in my background paper a little more, bust some more stash and because I could! heehee!

As a last step I stitched around my page with a dark grey thread, it just needed a bit of something you know what I mean?


This tutorial may not be earth shattering, but I really had fun with it and I think you will too!  And I love that I have a page that is a little different for me, but also a page that I love!

I also wanted to say, please do not think I am leaving the crafting world and forget to come visit me in the future.  I will still be here creating and sharing - just maybe a little differently.

Supply List: Crate Paper patterned paper and chipboard pieces; American Crafts cardstock; Evalicious flair; My Mind's Eye brads; Jillibean Soup, Echo Park and Crate Paper stickers; Martha Stewart flower; Recollection resin flower; misc. doily and buttons; Hemptique buttons twine; Simple Stories enamel dots.

So glad you visited today!

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous Tutorial Laura! Love the details in each little circle. Pinned for later reference! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Laura! Those circles with the stash-busting goodies are awesome and perfect with your photo! The stitching is delightful, too!

    Best of luck to you, whatever the future holds! You are always an inspiration whether it is with your sketches or your pages! Thanks so much for all you share!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This layout motivates me to create my own page using my Silhouette. I love it! I am so glad we will still be able to access your wonderful creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. This is a great way to use 6x6 paper pads, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome, Laura! Just lovely! Thank you for the step outs! Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!