Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Grateful for Us | Simple Stories

Hello friends!

I  have a two layouts up on the Simple Stories blog today,  which were created with the Gather Together Mini collection. Even though we Canadians have had our Thanksgiving under our belts (no pun intended) for some time now,  American Thanksgiving is just a few days away and so this is a perfect time for me to share pages that express Thankfulness and Gratitude.

Our family celebrated a very small and somewhat nontraditional Thanksgiving this year, as our older children could not make it home for the holiday.  We opted not to do a typical large meal, and spent the extra time doing fun activities and prepping more relaxed meals together.  We made the best of it and had fun, even though we missed our older boys, daughter in law and grandson terribly.

I am sharing my first page here today along with a process video, which documents how much we love to take fall nature walks and how my husband makes sure we all take this time to enjoy the fall colours, outdoors and time together each year.  I love that about him so much.


I was inspired to use a large, as in 12 inches tall, photo for my layout.  The only problem is I do not own a 12 x 12 printer, or 12 inch photo paper!  So I faked it, sort of.  Several years ago I shared a tutorial showing my readers the really cool effect of printing onto textured cardstock.  I thought I would revisit that technique so that I could create a photo that measures 4 x 12.  I printed it in both black & white and colour, and I love both, but for this page I opted for the black and white as you can see.  I did this because I wanted this story to be about gratitude and not the colours of Fall. The photo is not perfect, actually it is slightly grainy, but I really love that it has a sort of "aged" look.

I love this pretty heart paper and wanted it to feature heavily on my page, so I kept the other patterns to a minimum.  Then I created further impact with embellishments.


I used florals (mainly from the Hello Fall collection) and a few fussy cut feathers and other nature inspired stickers from the Gather Together Mini collection to create a beautiful cluster to the lower right side of my photo, it has such great impact!  My title is layered over the lower portion of my picture and I love the way it pops, and feeds into the embellishment cluster.


On the top right side of my page I added a spot to journal by cutting down a 3x4 cut apart card and adding embellishments around it.  It balances the first cluster really nicely.


For a last little bit of pop, I added a small cluster to the upper right of my photo, which completes my visual triangle.  I love that this page turned out pretty much exactly as I had imagined it!

As I mentioned, I have another process video today, you can watch the video for this layout below or here on my You-Tube channel!


Supply list: (from Simple Stories)
4662 Gather Together 6x12 Sticker sheet
4331 Say Cheese II Enamel Dots

(other supplies: white Mr. Huey's mist, American Crafts brown Precision Pen, American Crafts white textured cardstock)   

Thanks so much for visiting today! I will be back tomorrow with another layout and process video!

1 comment:

Your comments are greatly appreciated!