Monday, December 05, 2016

Believe | Scrap Affairs Magazine

Hello!  A few months back I was asked by Kyla Rennie, the editor of Scrap Affairs Magazine (out of South Africa) if I would be interested in creating a sketch and sample layout for their December issue, for a new-ish international sketch challenge section of the magazine.  Well I can tell you I was so excited and jumped at the opportunity and began creating a sketch right away! Today I would like to share them both with you.


While I was creating, we were in the middle of a grey and rainy week, so I was really wanting to keep my page clean and bright. I opted for a crisp white background and knew that the fun and whimsical colour combination of the Simple Stories Mistletoe Kisses collection would help keep things lively!


I stuck pretty much exactly to the sketch, just adding a few more layers around my photos. And speaking of my photos, not many of our family pictures turned out well from last Christmas (our family room is in need of a makeover, the lighting is not good, nor is the paint colour especially for taking photos! But you have to scrapbook the photos you have not the photos you want, so I played around in Photoshop Elements tying to clean them up a bit.  I converted them to black and white, with the exception of anything red in the pictures, which was pretty much just a bit of my sons pj's and some of the gift wrap.   Printing them out in a smaller size also helps disguise the poorer quality of the pics.


With the journalling and title close together there is more emphasis on the words.


My sketch suggests a secondary journalling area which is where I placed these fun phrase die cuts and stickers from this collection.


Here is a peek at the page my sketch and layout are on!



I have created a process video for this layout, you can check it out below or here on my You-Tube channel!


If you would like to play along with the sketch, feel free to linkup your layout on teir Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/scrapaffairs.

Supply List: Simple Stories Mistletoe Kisses patterned paper "Christmas Magic" and "3x4 journalling cards"; Simple Stories Mistletoe Kisses bits and pieces and 4x6 stickers; Simple Stories Say Cheese II enamel dots; Teresa Collins Christmas enamel dots; America Crafts cardstock; Steadtler pen.

Thanks for visiting and I hope you get a chance to check out this magazine!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the Guest spot in the magazine. Your layout is wonderful and I enjoyed the process video. Especially love the "I can explain" words on the card. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations my friend...I am so happy for you...and can't wait to create a page based on your fabulous sketch. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!